Perry School District reports they will be cancelling school (all campuses) Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (Feb. 13-15). They will be on normal schedule Friday. The school district would like to advise families not to send their students back on Friday if they still show any symptoms of influenza-like illness.
Symptoms may include fever (over 100 degrees F.) and cough or sore throat, runny nose, muscle pain and fatigue.
If you suspect your child is getting the flu, it is essential that he/ she not attend school or go to childcare facilities, public venues or sporting events where other people could be exposed to influenza.
Also, it is important to teach your children the following ways to reduce their risk of becoming infected:
- Wash hands often, ideally with soap and hot water for at least 20 seconds.
• Hand-sanitizer, including gels, rubs and hand wipes, work well as long as they contain at least 60% alcohol. Always read and follow label instructions when using hand sanitizer.
• Keep hands away from the face and avoid touching the mouth, nose or eyes.
• Use tissues for coughs and sneezes or cough into the inside of the elbow. Do not cough into hands!
• Children learn best by example. Be a positive influence by modeling these behaviors yourself. If we all practice good hygiene, health officials believe we can limit the spread of the influenza virus.