Voters in Kay County who want to have absentee ballots mailed to them for the
February 12, 2019 Ponca City Municipal Election and the Frontier and Shidler School
District Elections should apply now, County Election Board Secretary Cheryl Howard
said today. Although the County Election Board can accept applications for absentee
ballots until 5 p.m. on Wednesday, February 6th, Howard urged voters who want to vote
by absentee ballot to apply early.

Absentee ballot application forms are available at the County Election Board
office located at 201 S. Main St., Newkirk, OK. The absentee ballot application forms
also can be downloaded and printed from the internet at
“At least two mail transactions must be made.” Howard said. “The County
Election Board must mail the ballots to the voter and the voter must return the voted
ballots by mail.” Ballots must be in the hands of the County Election Board by 7p.m. on
election day in order to be counted.

Howard said that any registered voter may vote by absentee ballot in any election
in which he or she is eligible to vote. However, a voter must be registered and reside at
an address within the geographical boundaries of a school district or a municipality to be
eligible to vote in the school district or municipal elections. It is not necessary to give a
reason—or excuse—for voting absentee. “While anyone can vote absentee without
giving a reason, the law still provides several excuses, and it is to the advantage of some
voters to used one of them,” Howard said. By stating one of the following reasons on
their applications, these voters can activate some special conditions that make it easier for
them to use absentee ballots. The reasons are:

–Voters who are physically incapacitated and voters who care for physically
incapacitated persons who cannot be left unattended may vote absentee. They may apply
only by mail, or fax.
–Voters who are confined to nursing homes in the county may vote absentee. An
Absentee Voting Board actually goes to the nursing home a few days before the election,
sets up a small polling place and allows these persons to vote under circumstances similar
to those at a regular precinct polling place. They may apply only by mail or by fax.
–Military personnel and residents of the county living overseas and the spouses
and dependents of each group are eligible to vote absentee without being registered.
These voters may apply only by mail or by fax. Military personnel should contact the
Voting Service Officers in their units for applications forms and additional information.
Residents of Oklahoma living overseas can obtain the same materials from United States
Embassies and Consulates. Military personnel and overseas citizens also can download
and print the appropriate applications form from the internet at .