With school starting tomorrow in Ponca City, here are back to school tips to help keep drivers and kids safe.
- Keep your eyes peeled for any school zone signals and ALWAYS obey the school zone speed limit.
- Obey all traffic laws in a school zone.
- Always stop for buses loading or unloading children when you’re on an undivided road. If the road is divided, the traffic on the same side as the bus must stop.
- Watch out for children near schools, bus stops, sidewalks, in the streets and parking lots.
- Do NOT pass other vehicles, switch lanes or make U-Turns in a school zone. Especially do NOT text and drive in a school zone. A life is worth more than a text message.
- Stay off your cell phone, unless it’s completely hands free, while driving in a school zone.
- Unless you have the license to do so, do not use handicapped or emergency vehicle lanes or spaces to drop-off or pick-up children at school.
- Check with the school to make sure your child is allowed to ride their bicycle to school.
- Make sure your child always wears a helmet while riding a bike.
- Obey the rules of the road.
- Stay on the right-hand side of the road and ride in the same direction as oncoming traffic.
- Make sure your child knows and uses all the appropriate hand signals. Those can be seen here.
- Choose the safest route for your child between the school and home and practice it with them until they can demonstrate traffic safety awareness.
- If possible, try to have them ride bikes with a friend.