The Oklahoma State Historic Preservation Office recently announced eight new National Register of Historic Places listings in Oklahoma.
Among the eight new places added, two of those are from Kay and Noble counties. All pictures posted belong to the Oklahoma Historical Society, and all descriptions are from OKHistory.gov.
Alcorn-Pickrel House of Ponca City
OKHistory.org lists the Alcorn-Pickrel House at 200 N. 10th Street in Ponca City at the local level of significance for its Prairie School architectural style. John S. Alcorn, one of the vice presidents of E. W. Marland’s oil company, hired Elmer Boillot to design a modern home. Influenced by the Prairie School style that was popular in the early 20th century, especially in the Midwest, Boillot designed a two-story home on the lot. The house exhibits architectural features common to the Prairie School outside and inside. In the little over 100 years that the building has existed, very few changes have occurred to the exterior and interior of the home, thus the home retains its architectural integrity. The period of significance begins with the construction of the home in 1918 and coincides with the oil boom in the Ponca City area.
Schultz-Neal Barn near Red Rock
OKHistory.org lists the Schultz/Neal Stone Barn, located off U.S. Highway 177/OK 15 in the Red Rock vicinity of rural Noble County, at the local level of significance for Architecture with a period of significance of 1941, the year construction was completed, to 1954, when repairs following a 1951 fire are documented to have been completed. The barn was built on behalf of Richard Schultz, president of Red Rock State Bank, who was among the wealthiest individuals in Noble County. Schultz recruited as many as 30 workers to build the structure. Many of these workers were German Americans, and some had worked previously on the E. W. Marland Mansion (NRIS #73001561) in Ponca City. In 1947 John Byron “Cowboy” Neal leased the ranchland that included the barn and continued to use the property until the early 1990s, utilizing the barn primarily for hay storage. By all accounts, the Schultz/Neal Stone Barn is “the largest free-standing rock barn” in Oklahoma and is a prominent local landmark in Noble County.