Start the new year off with saving lives! January is also National Blood Donor Month, and the Oklahoma Blood Institute is urging all healthy Oklahomans, ages 16 and up, to take only about an hour of their time to give blood. Each blood donation can save up to three lives.
Blood donors will receive a free, limited edition, long-sleeved t-shirt. Donors are urged to give at one of the following blood drives:*
- LOCATION; DAY, DATE, TIME to TIME
- AllianceHealth Ponca City, 1900 N. 14th; Thursday, January 10th, from 10am to 4pm
- Kanza Health Center, 3151 E. in Newkirk; Thursday, January 10th, from 9am to 1pm
- Kildare School, 1265 Church St.in Ponca City; Friday, January 11th, from 2:30pm to 6pm
- Victory Worship Center in Ponca City, 618 E. Hartford; Sunday, January 13th, from noon to 3pm
- SouthWest Cupid, 318 N. 29th in Blackwell; Tuesday, January 15th, from 9am to 1pm
- Pioneer Technology Center, 2101 N. Ash in Ponca City; Wednesday, January 16th, from 8am to 3pm
- Blackwell High School, 303 E. Coolidge Ave.; Wednesday, January 16th, from 9am to 2pm
“Some of our friends and neighbors are facing another year of difficult and life-threatening health challenges,” said John Armitage, M.D., president and CEO of Oklahoma Blood Institute. “Someone needs blood every two seconds, and the supply must be constantly renewed. We are inviting all Oklahomans to make a resolution to give blood in the new year.”
Whole blood donations can be made every 56 days. Platelets can be donated up to 24 times a year. If donors opt not to take the t-shirt, Oklahoma Blood Institute will make a monetary donation to Global Blood Fund for blood center assistance in developing countries.
As the nation’s 6th largest non-profit blood collector, Oklahoma Blood Institute’s donors provide every drop of blood needed for patients in more than 160 hospitals statewide. It takes nearly 1,200 donors a day to meet those needs.
Appointments to give blood are not required but can be made by calling Oklahoma Blood Institute at 877-340-8777 or visiting obi.org.
*16-year-olds must weigh at least 125 pounds and provide signed parental permission; 17-year-olds must weigh at least 125 pounds; 18+ year olds must weigh at least 110 pounds.